The main focus of our research group is to the study of the evolution and adaptation of microorganisms using genomics approaches. For this, we use multiple approaches, including:
- Comparative genomics
We are also interested in approaches to improve the visualization of data and results derived from our analysis.
Most of our projects are collaborative, with researchers in Chile and in other countries. Some of our current work includes:
- We are currently studying the evolution and diversity of Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) from strains isolated in Chile. This work is done in collaboration with Dr. Andrea Salgado and Dr. Patricia García (Universidad Católica de Chile).
- Methods for the prediction and visualization of horizontal gene transfer events in genome sequences. Work in collaboration with Dr. Sheila Podell (UC San Diego).
- Comparative genomic analysis of diverse microbial groups.
- Fondecyt Iniciación 11140666. Development of reproducible bioinformatics workflows for comparative microbial genomics (Principal Investigator)
- Instituto Antártico Chileno (INACH). Project RG_31_15. Diversity and inter-annual variability of eukaryote microbial communities in Antarctic coastal waters. 2016-2018. (Principal Investigator).
- Fondecyt Regular 1160858. Identifying endotypes and potential therapeutic targets in atopic dermatitis through an integrated systems biology approach (Co-Investigator).
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) Research grant. 2013-2015 (Principal Investigator)